Roughly one-third of inmates in California’s jails suffer from serious mental illness. (via www.namica.org)
- 70% of youth in juvenile justice systems have at least one mental health condition and at least 20% live with a serious mental illness.
- Individuals living with mental illness are overrepresented in the criminal justice system, which do not provide appropriate treatment or supports.
- Law enforcement is often the first responder in situations that involve people living with a mental health condition.
- California has made significant progress in recent years in training law enforcement to respond appropriately to situations that involve mental illness, including passage of SB 11 & SB 29 (Beall)
- About 2 million American with mental health conditions are admitted to jails each year-most for
- We should expand on the success of proven diversion models, including mobile crisis teams and mental health courts.
- It is important to encourage partnerships…
View original post 91 more words